As professional labor assistants, Doula Delight doulas educate, support and advocate for childbearing families by nurturing them physically, emotionally, and spiritually in the sacred process of birth. Doula Delight believes that birth is normal, natural, and healthy and as such ascribes to the fundamental philosophy espoused by Lamaze International that:
• The experience of birth profoundly affects women and their families.
• Women’s inner wisdom guides them through birth.
• Women’s confidence and ability to give birth is either enhanced or diminished by the care provider and place of birth.
• Women have a right to give birth free from routine medical interventions.
• Childbirth education empowers women to make informed choices in health care, to assume responsibility for their health and to trust their inner wisdom.
As breastfeeding advocates, Doula Delight embraces the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) launched by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nation International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) in 1991 to:
• Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
• Help mothers initiate breastfeeding at birth.
• Show mothers how to breastfeed and maintain lactation even if they are separated from their infants.
• Give infants no food or drink other than breast milk unless medically indicated.
• Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
• Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support group.